- 4 cups plus ¼ cup EB flour
- ¼ cup sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest 2 oranges
- ¾ pound 3 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 extra-large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup ½ pint cold heavy cream
- 1 cup dried cranberries or other fruit
- 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water for egg wash
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In the bowl of an mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Add the cold butter and mix at the lowest speed until the butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add eggs and cream to the bowl. Mix until just blended. The dough will be lumpy. Add the dried cranberries, or other fruit, and ¼ cup of flour, to the dough, and mix on low speed until blended.
With a large scoop (I like an ice cream scoop), scoop dough onto parchment paper. Space about 2 inches apart.
Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are fully baked.
adapted from Barefoot Contessa