These gingerbread cookies are also called Molasses and Honey Cutouts. These cookies have been a family favorite on my husbands side of the family for years.
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) shortening – room temp
- 1/2 cup (3.75 oz) organic dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) molasses
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) honey
- 1 eggs (local)
- 4 cups (1 pound 4 oz) Ella Bella AP Flour Blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 Tblsp cinnamon
- In the large bowl of your stand mixer blend shortening and sugar together until creamy. Add egg, molasses, and honey, and beat thoroughly. In a separate bowl add all dry ingredients together; flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to bowl of the stand mixer. Mix on medium-high for 3-4 minutes until it comes together. Chill dough overnight, or at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Flour work surface (I use GF flour that I don’t like for this part). Roll out dough to 1/4″ thick, cut with favorite seasonal shapes. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Smush up dough, roll out again and repeat until dough is all gone.
- We like to add gum drops, red hots, or other decorations to our gingerbread cookies just after they come out of the oven. Just be careful because the pan and cookies are hot.
Yields about 3 dozen cookies.
From Pat Groszko